Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lab 6: DEMs




3D Elevation Model
In this lab, I created four different maps in ArcGIS that serve as digital elevation models of a particular area. These maps include a shaded relief model, a slope map, an aspect map, and a 3D rendering of the DEM data. I encountered various potentials and pitfalls while creating these models in ArcGIS. Creating these different models was relatively easy for me once I had downloaded the right DEM data. It was just a matter of allocating and saving the data in the right place in the right way (input raster as DEM data and output raster to my USB drive).  I actually thought it was pretty fun being able to play with the different color scales for my maps, the transparency, and such. One could really see the difference in the land when choosing different colors or transparencies, which gives a more detailed look at the information presented. Thus, that is a potential and benefit with working with DEMs in ArcGIS as elevation information presented can be presented in a more aesthetically appealing way that also could be easier for a viewer to understand. For example, you can clearly see where the ground is higher in the 3D elevation model (which was my favorite one to create and play with). However, there are some pitfalls that come with creating DEMs in ArcGIS, mostly due to certain technological glitches. For example, on the Slope Map, even though I chose to change the units to "percent rise," the values came out in large number (as indicated by the legend) which makes it seem like something went wrong.  And, of course, you have be somewhat technological savvy to work through the program and create such models through ArcGIS, ArcScene, etc. Overall, I had a positive experience with this lab in creating different DEMs because it was relatively simple to work through and it was interesting to see the different effects applied to the same data.

No comments:

Post a Comment